Welcome to the 2020 Spring Season of i9 Sports Flag Football
You will find that i9 Sports is an exciting alternative to other leagues, because we offer the features you value most:
- Unsurpassed organization and communication
- Emphasis on fun that places the kids' needs first
- Focus on basic skills, sportsmanship, team play and fairness
Opening Day- Saturday March 28th.
- Convenience (practices and games on the same day)
- Inclusiveness (balanced playing time for every player, every game)
- Commitment to safety (mandatory certified background checks on all coaches)
We allow groups to form. Groups of strictly 5 or less may play on the recreational side. Groups of more than 5 will be required to play in our competitive bracket (Saturdays only).
We will now be offering two different sectors of play – Recreational and Competitive.
Our age group divisions moving forward are as follows:
Peewee – Age 4-5 – Recreational Option Only
Junior – Age 6-7 – Recreational Option Only
Intermediate – Age 8-9 – Recreational and Competitive Option
Major – Age 10-12 – Recreational and Competitive Option
Elite – Age 13-15 – Recreational and Competitive Option
HOW WILL THIS WORK?
- Just like always, you would register for one of our flag football leagues at the venue of your choice. Options will include: Saturdays at Heritage Middle, Trinity Academy, and Carroll Middle, and Sundays at the North Raleigh Church of Christ.
- Recreational teams will be strictly limited to no more than 5 buddies per team (including coach’s child).
- Teams with 6 or more buddies (including Coach’s child) will be required to split to drop to 5 buddies in order to stay in the recreational division OR can join the competitive division.
- The competitive division will be on Saturdays only; The North Raleigh Church of Christ will be recreational only – i.e. Maximum buddy group size of 5 players.
- Teams in the competitive division must have at minimum 8 players, provide their own coach(es), and rosters will max out at 12 players. We will help fill in gaps to fill up teams. If you have a child that would like to play competitively, but do not have a group you are with, please let us know and we will work with you to find you a team. Teams that do not have full rosters at 12 players will have these free agents added.
- Teams in the competitive division will play at multiple sites- Heritage Middle, Trinity Academy, and Carroll Middle. Time slots will be as consistent as possible for competitive teams when playing at “away” venues.
- Recreational teams will take NFL Team Names like always. In the competitive division, teams will be named after college teams:
- Intermediate 8-9 – BIG TEN Team Names
- Major 10-12 – ACC Team Names
- Elite 13-15 – SEC Team Names
- There will be a rule added to the competitive divisions, that unless in the NO RUN ZONE - IF blitzed, the quarterback can scramble and run with the ball past the line of scrimmage. If not blitzed, the QB cannot run and the QB cannot run even when blitzed in the NO RUN ZONE.
- Players may “Play Up” an age group, however there is no playing down. Please let us know if you’d like to move up a division, as it must be done manually.
We know this is a major change in structure for our Flag Football programs, however after much thought, backend legwork, and due diligence, we at the league office are extremely excited for this evolvement, as this should help drive much more consistency and parity among our teams and will provide a much more fun experience for all types of players and teams.
We will be working hard to help everyone land in the right spot; please reach out to myself with any questions about how things will work or with any help I can be to get your child in the right league!
League Format: Play is 6 on 6, with no intentional contact allowed. Teams are organized into divisions based on the age of the child. Teams will consist of 10-12 players each. Each team will have an hour slotted for games preceded by a 60 minute practice. You will only be at the fields for about two hours, maybe less for Peewee Division.
Equipment: The league provides each player with an official i9 Sports Flag Football reversible jersey and flag belt that your kids get to keep (the kids love the reversible jersey). Players may wear shorts or sweats of any type, as long as they do not have pockets or belt loops, and as long as they are not red. Appropriate footwear includes football/soccer rubber cleats (no metal). Each player must use a mouth guard at all times during play.
Awards: Each week one kid from each team will be awarded an i9 Sports Sportsmanship Medal for demonstrating the value for that week. All kids will receive an i9 Sports a trophy.
Coaches & Referees: All coaches will receive mandatory certified background checks. Coaches will find the experience personally rewarding. All referees are trained to ensure the highest level of professionalism during all games.